Education FAQs


Does CCOM offer undergraduate degrees?

What degrees are offered?
The Center offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Ph.D. degrees, and a graduate certificate.

The specific program details are:

  • M.S. in Ocean Engineering with ocean mapping option, two-year minimum program;
  • M.S. in Earth Sciences with ocean mapping option, thesis version, two-year minimum;
  • M.S. in Earth Sciences with ocean mapping option non-thesis, 16-month minimum;
  • Ph.D., at least three years but typically longer.
  • The Graduate Certificate in Ocean Mapping is a one-year program.

What will it cost?
Please refer to the Graduate School catalog. All of our regular graduate students are on a stipend. Certificate students are not supported financially.

Where can I find the Graduate Catalog?
On the Graduate School website,

How long does it take to get a degree?
An M.S. is generally completed in about two years. A Ph.D. can require five or more years to complete.

What are the requirements and prerequisites?
A typical applicant should have an undergraduate degree in engineering or science. The prerequisites are listed in the Graduate School catalog.

How do I apply?
You apply through the UNH Graduate School beginning at the particular department you have selected.

Will I need to have a professor to advise me?
Not at the time of application, but eventually you’ll need to have a faculty member advise you.

Do I need references?
Yes, at least three.

Do I need to have a GRE?
It depends on the department through which you apply. For more information, see the Graduate Catalog.

What courses should I have taken?
Depending on which track you select, the course requirements will be listed in the Graduate School pages.

Which track should I choose – Earth Science or Ocean Engineering?
The track chosen depends on your particular background, but most students enter through the Ocean Engineering or Earth Science programs. If a student’s background fits neither of these, there are other paths to take.

What's the difference between a thesis and non-thesis track?
The non-thesis option substitutes additional coursework in place of the research and writing associated with completing a thesis. Students choosing the non-thesis option will be required to give two technical presentations and to submit a technical paper.

What does Category A recognition in hydrographic surveying for a course program mean?
“Category A” is the highest level of international recognition awarded by the International Federation of Surveyors (FIG)/International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) /International Cartographic Association (ICA) Advisory Board, which deemed the Center’s educational curriculum provides comprehensive and broad-based knowledge in all aspects of the theory and practice of hydrographic surveying and allied disciplines. Upon successful completion of coursework, you will receive a certificate showing you received training from a Category-A certified institution.

What's the relationship of the Center to the individual affiliated departments?
Center-department relationships are established via individual faculty, all of whom have home departments, e.g., Earth Science, Ocean Engineering, etc.

Are scholarships available?
Scholarships are available through the university and other funding agencies but not specifically through CCOM/JHC. 

  Grad student Dandan pilots the R/V Cocheco.
  Roland uses his laptop to control an AUV in Mendum's Pond.
  Bernice and Yulia working on attaching the multibeam to a research vessel during the Summer Hydro course.